Named for Colonel J. T. L. Preston, the library was dedicated in 1939,
enlarged in 1972, and renovated in 1996. Preston Library has both print
and electronic collections which support VMI's academic program. Many
electronic resources come through VIVA (the Virtual Library of Virginia),
a state consortium through which resources are obtained and shared.
Preston Library has a strong commitment to service and supports faculty
and undergraduate research through its reference, interlibrary loan,
and circulation services. We are a selective depository library of United
States publications. In addition, the library provides media services
and has a music collection in the Timmins Music Room. VMI's Archives
are also located in the library with VMI's historic official records,
photographs, manuscripts, and rare materials.